Schoodic Scenic Byway Home Page

Things to see

  • Henry's Cove
  • Village Center
  • Bike, Bus and Ferry
  • Schoodic National Scenic Byway
    Channing Chapel and Winter Harbor Public Library




    In 1887 David Flint, a summer resident of Winter Harbor, made the decision to build a Unitarian chapel on land that he owned which lay adjacent to his large cottage on Inner Harbor. Flint was a Boston lumber dealer, who, after being widowed, had married his wife's doctor, a local woman named Almeda Guptill Baker. Being a staunch follower of William Ellery Channing and believing that there was sufficient interest in Unitarianism here, Flint felt that there was need for a meeting place. In the winter of 1887-1888 both beach and field stones were brought to the site of the future chapel by people of the village since it was much easier to transport them over the frozen ground rather than wait for summer when the chapel was to be built. The chapel walls were begun on June 18, 1888, and the building was finished and ready for dedication ceremonies on August 28, 1888. The Channing Chapel now serves as Winter Harbors Public Library and is on the National Register of Historic Places.